What is bruxism? Do you ever wake up with sore jaw muscles or a headache? You may be suffering from the grinding and clenching of the teeth. This can cause the teeth to become painful and slowly chip away. This could lead to potentially destroy the surrounding bone and gum tissue. It can also cause problems with your jaw joint.
Signs & Symptoms:
- Contractions of the jaw muscles
- Tight jaw muscles
- Popping or clicking of the temporomandibular joint
- Damaged teeth, broken fillings and injured gums
- Swelling on lower jaw
- Pain in the face
How to know if I have bruxism? You may not realize you have this habit unless someone mentions you’ve been grinding your teeth while sleeping. Some people don’t discover the problem until it comes time for their dental checkup. If you notice your face, head and neck are aching, then visit our office in Lakeview and Dr. Feffer can certainly determine the source of your pain.
How is bruxism treated? Our dentists here at Dr. Feffer & Associates can help determine the cause of the problem and prescribe the right treatment for you. We have many patients come to us experiencing these symptoms.
- Our dentists offer a custom-made sleeping appliance that covers the upper teeth and protects them from grinding against the lower teeth. It’s not a cure, but it helps manage the pain.
- Bruxism is also caused by everyday stressful situations. It’s important to find ways to relax by listening to music or taking a walk.
- An abnormal bite can also cause problems because the teeth do not fit well together. An abnormal bite can be corrected with new fillings, crowns or orthodontics.
It’s important to have your symptoms checked by our dentists here at Jeffrey P. Feffer DDS, MPH & Associates. Schedule an appointment by calling our office at 773-348-3668. Our office is located at 561 W Diversey Pkwy, Suite 203 in Lakeview. We’re here to find the best solution for you!